We offer formation courses at the three levels of student work.
A current listing of these courses appears at the bottom of this page. To go there now, click here
How to get involved:
The Good Shepherd Catechesis nurtures the spirituality of the adult
as well as the child.
To find more about being an adult in the atrium - visit an atrium
near you or contact Susan Perna at
Helping in the Atrium
- Many atriums offer opportunities for interested adults to assist with
the children during an atrium session.
- In addition certain atriums require
assistance setting up the area for the children and then following the
session putting everything away.
- All atriums welcome adults who are
willing to give of their time and talents to make materials –
i.e carpentry, sewing, drawing or calligraphy or help out with the administrative
- Contact your local atrium director to find out how you can help
and become involved in the Good Shepherd’s work.
- The CGSAC extends
a warm invitation to all adults who are supportive of the the Shepherd
Catechesis to join as members.
Click here for member registration.
CGSAC recommends that each parish ensures that all volunteers have been screened and have undergone
a police records check before being allowed to work with children.
After receiving training in this ministry adults:
- Listen with the children to the Word of God, while respecting the
childs needs and capacities
- Ponder with the child the mysteries of the Kingdom of God
- Wonder with the child about God, who is love
- Enjoy with the child living in communion with the Holy Spirit
- Seek to understand with the older child how we are being called
to be stewards of His Kingdom
- Celebrate with the child the presence of the Risen Christ in our
- Guide the activities of children in atriums
Training to be a Catechist
- Training for adults in Canada is available through CGSAC.
- Training is divided into 3 levels – co-relating with the 3 age
groups within an atrium. Level I formation is the foundation course
and is a pre-requisite for Level II , which is a pre-requisite for Level
III. Each formation level course offers age specific training that includes:
- an opportunity to learn about the spiritual growth and development
- reflections on the key biblical themes presented to the children
- discussions on relevant Christian theology and doctrine
- presentations on the practice of our faith (liturgical signs
- presentations and hands on experience with the materials that
the children use in an atrium
- prayer, praise and celebration in the way of the Good Shepherd
- guidance on setting up and directing the growth of an atrium
- assistance in completing a personal journal (album) for each presentation given to
the children in the specified level
- plans for making the materials used by the children in an atrium
- In-class work consists of lectures, small group learning sessions and individual hands-on opportunities.
- Courses consists of a minimum of 90 hours of in-class work and 30 hours of observation
- For information regarding courses currently being offered in Canada and registration information contact Susan Perna at
- If there isn’t a course near you. Go to CGSUSA
for courses offered in the United States
Upcoming Formation Courses
- Winnipeg, MB: Level 1 – Starts September 2017 with dates through to June 2018 – Brochure coming soon!
- Guelph, ON: Level 1 – Dates TBD – late fall 2017 through June 2018 over 5 weekends – more to follow
- Saskatoon, SK: Level 1A – Delayed until the Fall 2017 – dates to be determined –
Click here to download your copy of the Saskatoon brochure (PDF) –
contact Cynthia Foster by
e-mail email@example.com for information
- Vancouver, BC: Level 1A – August 14 - 18, 2017 – course information and registration resources are located at the
Archdiocese of Vancouver web site
– Click here to download your copy of the Vancouver brochure (PDF)
– contact Murita Chua by phone at 604-683-0281 ext: 50210 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Ottawa, ON: none currently scheduled, contact
Susan Perna at email@example.com
- Ottawa, ON: southeast in Russell, ON – Level 2A – July 5 - 9, 2017 – Level 2B to follow in 2018 –
Click here to download your copy of the Russell brochure (PDF) –
contact Meghann Baker by phone at 613-370-6371 or e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
For more information about courses in your area contact
Susan Perna at email@example.com
- Guelph, ON: Level 3 – given in 3 parts –
August 8 - 12 and 14 - 18, 2017 and July 21 - 27, 2018 – at the Ignatius Jesuit Centre –
Click here to download your copy of the Guelph brochure (PDF) for this course –
Contact Therese Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
for further information